Sunday, July 08, 2012

Pizza with Aunt D and B.

Yesterday we had pizza with Aunt D, and her boyfriend B, in San Diego. Aunt D was the last familiar face SS saw, the day before we moved. We knew then about this visit, and have reminded SS on those days when she has been homesick.  We had not had the opportunity to meet B, since he works and lives three hours away from D. They had a very full schedule, and they are visiting B's parents in San Diego. We were delighted that we could get together.

I asked D what type of food and place they like, she said hole in the wall type of places.  P and I went to the Diners, Drive Ins and Dives map, and set out to work. We settled on Pizzeria Luigi, they make NY style pizza, and make better than franchise indistinguishable pizza.   When we arrived, we were pleased that it also met the hole in the wall requirement. The prices were reasonable, two slices and a soda for $6. While we waited for D&B, I introduced SS to good old fashioned Connect Four. SS quickly engaged in good old fashioned cheating. Tramposa.  I don't think I have ever been to a pizzeria where they have games for the customers.

SS had her standard, pepperoni, I had spinach/ricotta, and tomato/basil. P had a BBQ chicken, and two more I can't recall. SS surprised us by having a bite of each slice.  I could not believe it when she did not protest after taking a bite of the spinach/ricotta. I had been worried, because although the place got great reviews, four and five stars on Yelp; there were a few one stars, from very outspoken, disgruntled people. P cleared off the discrepancy for me, if you are only used to Domino's pizza, this is not the place for you. I'm glad my Costco pizza loving child was able to enjoy something different.

We spent time catching up, laughing, and as usual SS was the center of attention. Among the things D and B will be doing, is the Comic Con in San Diego. P was green with envy, not because he is a comic fan, but because he found out that the cast of Breaking Bad will be making an appearance. I'm surprised he did not bring his DVDs (has all four seasons), and ask them to get him autographs.

We really enjoyed meeting B, he is a really nice and cool guy. He is also very knowledgeable about super heroes.  Not only that, he gets bathroom humor, did not even blink when SS's picture taking of her treasures came up. He is definitely a keeper. We had to say goodbye way to soon, and that is when SS and I made an executive decision. D is forbidden from dumping B, they need to visit more often, next time an overnight visit to us is a must, and they need to hurry up, get married and have babies. We omitted the marriage and babies part. Hurry you two, SS needs playmates. OK, SS will be too old to be their (yeah, SS and I decided that there will be more than one) playmate, but she is sure going to enjoy bossing them around. Now it's my turn to be jealous, because tomorrow they are going to Catalina Island. Thanks for meeting with us guys.

Today practice starts at 8:30 a.m.  I woke up at 4:00 after less than three hours sleep, and could not go back to sleep. That is why I'm posting now, but know that I'm going to be sleepy as hell all day.  This week is P's three day weekend. We have had a few busy days, and tomorrow we are going to be tired puppies. We are going to veg around here, and start setting up medical, vision, and dental appointments. With any luck I should have my surgeries within the next couple of months. Can't wait to get rid of that damn hernia, and to have some pain relief on my leg.  That is, if said surgeries are successful.
 









No comments: