Saturday, April 25, 2015

A good example of the things we do for our kids.

I am glad that last night was the daddy/daughter dance, because it was the one positive thing in my brutal week.  With our schedules, SS's omnipresence, and her stealthy ability to squat in our bed; we decided to go out for a bite, alone, once a week. This week was supposed to be our first date night, and of course it almost didn't happen. I had a situation that I had gone through hundreds of times pre SS. You do your best, but in the end you end up going to court.  By the time that decision is made, you are beyond exhausted from the field work, and come to the office to settle who goes where. You manage a couple of hours of sleep, then turn around to write a court report that must be factual, compelling, and has very specific legal language.

I used to do that in rote mode... pre SS (Before S or BS doesn't feel right). This was my first court venture here, so I could not even draw on previous knowledge. Every County has their own style, and a lot has changed in the seven years I was pretending I would never do this work again. Two nights my baby went to bed without seeing me, and one morning I was out of the house by four in the morning. Sadly it needed to be done, and P had to take time off from work to get the girl to school. I felt like a heel cancelling date night Wednesday. Then it dawned on me that if I canceled our first one, chances are something will always come up.  On Thursday, P and I etched two hours to grab a bite, and do some shopping for the dance.  I will be paying my penance to SS for God knows how long. And there are many more weeks like that in her future, she just does not know that for now.

The Fridays I work are supposed to be my short days, eight hours instead of nine. Except that I needed to play catch up with my other responsibilities, neglected over the time of consuming court madness. I was out in the field all day, and actually skipped one visit because I needed to come home and at least see P and SS before they left for the dance.  I arrived with enough time to do that, and get two pics with my phone, no time to grab the good camera.  After they left I returned to the office because I really needed to get a few things, and enter some work on my laptop. After one hour and forty five minutes I said screw it. I brought the laptop home to hopefully get things done while SS sleeps.

P was a trooper because he had to pick up the slack in my absence.  He arrived tired and hungry, to shower, dress, and hit the dance floor. Pizza was provided,so he knew he'd at least get something to eat. But SS wanted to line up for the dance picture first. We were disappointed they went cheap this year. For the kinder dance they had a professional photographer. This year the principal took the pictures, and it shows. I know we are being snobs about this, by Ms. R taking the pics, they kept the admission fee low, $10, including pizza and pictures. But we would have gladly pay what it took to get good pictures. There's an advantage to having only one child to provide for (once you add costumes). 

 
They make an awesome 80's couple.  Notice P's shoes, more on those later. And since we have been so busy, we are lucky they got the costumes. Courtesy of P's Amazon Prime membership (yes, we ordered that late) and my rewards card.

Check out my man ROCKING the pink wristbands. This picture is going to be on my desk Monday, a framed 8x10. Someone asked M's (SS's friend) mom why her husband did not wear some pink to match her daughter. She responded that there was NO WAY her husband would wear pink. That's sad, it's just a color, and for two hours of your life. P texted me from the dance to let me know the wrist bands came in handy. It was hot as Hades in that room, and he was sweating something awful. I should have made him wear the headband.

It would have been nice to have them wear neon color sunglasses, but they both needed to see. Their prescription sunglasses came in handy.  I did worry at the thought of SS jumping all over the place and breaking her sunglasses. Especially when P took off her Croakies (holders), because there were no Croakies in the 80's. That is the down side to marrying a science guy, they are anal about accuracy. 

M's mom was a chaperone, and sent me this picture of a slow dance.

M and SS giving us a taste of what we have to look forward to when they are partying buddies.

Now this picture is just creepy, because they look like they are in whatever the version of Studio 54 was in the 80's (AREA?), and after having way too many Cosmopolitans. 


P took a few action shots that ended up looking LSD trip like.



P is not a shoe guy, he is a frugal guy. He doesn't mind getting us things, he just doesn't like spending money on himself.  Imagine my surprise when we left dinner Thursday night and he asked me if I was buying him shoes for the dance. That was indeed my plan, all white shoes for that Wham! look. I also knew he would probably not wear those shoes again. Meaning buying him a throw away pair. P said that I might as well do it right. He suggested we look at the Vans store. So behold P's first ever pair of Vans, and it was money well spent. Especially when I found out that the man never owned a pair of Vans or Chucks.  Now neither did I, but they were not popular in PR. And P has bought me two pairs of Chucks since Christmas to rectify the situation. I think I will be shopping for him in the near future.



SS danced her non existent butt off. I so wish I could have been there. But even if I was not at work, the dance is not open to spectators. It really bummed me out, especially with this song. I used to dance to this song with both JJ and SS when they were wee ones. 


Check out how SS and M are dancing, then take a look at the little girl on SS's left.  She is doing the unfortunate slide side to side thing. Oh wait, so is her dad.



Yup, she IS excited. I got a good laugh when I noticed the guy in the background. And that is why I love these dances. The dude is obviously not into dancing, or has no clue or rhythm.  But he is there for his little girl. Because by the time they graduate from elementary school, these girls are going to be too cool to go to a daddy/daughter dance. And part of my selfish self is sad that I won't get the chance to experience a mommy/son dance.


PS. Way to go Bruce Jenner! I can't imagine living a lie for so long, nor the courage it would take to do what you did last night. May the love and support of your kids be your reward for putting them first.


No comments: