Friday, January 14, 2011

Guess who stayed dry at school today?

SS had a really rough start this morning, when she was supposed to be brushing her teeth I found her laying on the floor. I am ashamed to admit that I was not as patient as I should have been, and that led to tears. After a quick self admonishment I asked SS what was wrong, and she said she was tired and did not want to go to school. That is when I pulled my ace card, I reminded her that after school we would drive to JJ's for the weekend, and she would have two sleeps at his house. Oh boy, instant transformation, happy dance, and lots of I love JJ. I knew that kid would come in handy one day. I had a lot of errands to run and before I knew it it was time to pick up my angel. Much to my delight SS was wearing the same pants she had in the early morning. YEAH SS!!!!!! She remained dry and the teachers made a big deal of her accomplishment. SS was beaming while listening to their praise.

The plan was to leave at 4:00 p.m. but since I am horrible at time management we left at 6:00 p.m. By then P was ready to strangle me. It took longer to get ready because spending two days at your single son's apartment, that he shares with two other single guys, is like packing to camp for a week. Plus we wanted to cook for JJ and that entailed bringing some kitchen gear. Also, now that SS is potty training packing for her is an even bigger nightmare. I am a notorious over packer, but even I had to amp my game. We will be without easy access to a washer and dryer for two days, so SS had her own suitcase full of way too many outfits, just in case.

There is no way we were going to stop every thirty minutes for a potty try, so SS wore a pull up. But when we made a pit stop for me P had the brilliant idea to have SS use the BK bathroom. It is a popular stop along that route and BK keeps it nice and clean. Still, I was not thinking of introducing my innocent child to the world of public restrooms. Her Abuela would certainly have me killed. I recalled when JJ was five and my mother almost slapped me because I was not obsessive enough about washing JJ's hands. Plus I allowed the child to capably wipe himself. Even though SS could use the potty in the car we won't always be close enough to the car when she has to go. That is how SS and I ended up walking into a Burger King holding a tushie cushie, not one of my finest moments.

SS was initially intimidated by the height of the toilet but I held her tight and distracted her by asking about the movie.

Me: What happened in the movie?
SS: Nemo lost Mama.
Me: Oh, anyone looking for him (thinking of Dori)?
SS: Yeah, Baba Nemo (Marlin) looks. Babas look (probably brought on because we are always telling her the good things Mamas and Babas do, or are supposed to do).

And while we talked SS made her first deposit in a public restroom...

A very happy SS proudly showing off the star sticker she received at school for her milestone.





Cheeseburger, fries, vanilla shake and Finding Nemo, SS's reward. Lots of junk food but we have never claimed to provide sound nutrition. That is the only bite she ate from her burger.

You can tell by her expression that things are getting interesting.

While we thought of and looked forward to many things while we waited for SS, hauling a potty and a tushie cushie in the van was not one of them.

Celebrating her first out of home tushie cushie experience.

No comments: