Sunday, March 24, 2013

More Easter fun.

We are nearing our one year anniversary in our new home, or as I call it, back home. We are pretty much settled, even though there's still furniture in the garage and boxes unopened. Adjusting to the weather was not a problem, same thing, different place. We fell in step with what we did fifteen years ago, while still sometimes in awe of how much there is to do, the plethora of ethnic dining choices, and overall diversity.  The one glitch where SS and I are concerned is P working Saturdays. It's still throwing us off and it is still difficult for SS to comprehend why Baba is not home when she is off school.  I'm actually missing soccer because it forced me to get out of the house and keep SS busy. So I try to find things for us to do on Saturdays to ease the sting of Baba's absence. I do enjoy my Mondays with P sans SS for a few hours, and sometimes I feel guilty. Just sometimes. Today we headed to an Easter event to allow SS to get some more Easter fun.



Check out those two front teeth coming in. I really like the vampire look, and I'm not into that stuff. I'm going to miss that gap when her adult teeth are fully out.


Parents were encouraged to being their cameras, as there was no commercial photography offered. A lot of parents decked out their kids in their fancy Easter outfits and took advantage of the occasion. I'm glad we waited because I need P to get SS to look at the camera. We are taking SS for her annual picture Monday.


I knew there would be pony rides at the event, but knew it wasn't for SS. Our daughter will only ride on the stationary horses on a Merry go Round when at her bravest. More often she sits on the bench, enjoying the view. As we walked by SS squealed at the sight of the pony and horse, she wanted to ride. Uh, those things move, are statistically far more dangerous than a Merry go Round animal, it could throw her off and crush her, but that is what SS wanted to do.

Full disclosure time. I was thrown of a horse at age ten onto asphalt, with my sizable cousin landing on me. I have kept my distance from those creatures ever since. I knew eventually it would come up but I envisioned P being there to stop my anxiety from rubbing off on SS. But that is the amazing thing about children, how it makes a parent forget what the heck they are afraid of and just focus on the child. At least that is the way it works with me. I sucked it up, stood in line, paid the fee, and prayed that SS got to ride the pony. Nope, God is a woman with an amazing sense of humor because SS got the horse. What's the worse that could happen? SS would scream and they would wait for the pony to become available.


She is on the horse and there was no screaming involved. One more example of SS's quirkiness, and reason number three million why she is such a hoot to raise. As for me, there was no hyperventilating involved, just pride in my little Mulan.


Way to go SS, you are one brave yet strange little girl.


Wow, a real bunny. I really need to learn how to frame a picture.


Blurry bouncy house fun. SS did not stay long, it is still difficult for her to remain upright on a bouncy house.


When SS approached the coloring station the attendant informed her that it was a coloring contest. SS sat down and started coloring furiously, just like P has taught her to do to meet her teacher's edict that all homework pages must be colored. I had to explain to SS that the contest was not a coloring race, but that it was about aesthetics. Once that was cleared SS was able to relax and enjoy her coloring. Hard to believe kindergarten has stressed out our kid so much.

No comments: