Saturday, October 09, 2010

She's an 80's baby.

We have just been hanging out today, and as usual, SS has provided comic relief throughout the day. I was tickling her in bed this morning and gave her a break to allow her to catch her breath. SS had a serious look on her face and I could tell her wheels were turning. She took a deep breath and carefully enunciated "Mama, please leave my tummy alone." SS managed to pronounce each word perfectly (she can butcher words as well as her Mama), and that was obviously what she was mulling in her head. Then just as I was about to feel really guilty she stuck out her tummy at me, with a mischievous grin. That got her another round of tickles.

Later in the day SS came downstairs and noticed P was gone. She walked up to me with an annoyed look on her face and stated, "Mama, where is Baba now?" As if the man disappears on a regular basis to gallivant around town. We will always be sympathetic to SS's partners, she can be demanding and bossy. No idea where she got that from.

P and I did the couch potato thing and were watching VH1's Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80's. SS was in music heaven and I was surprised by how many of those songs are familiar to our child. Like JJ, SS's music taste is very eclectic, but man the 80's are her decade. She was shaking her booty, playing the air guitar a la Jimmy Hendrix and singing along. It was a really funny thing to witness. But like with everything SS, there is that moment when we really question our parenting. Today's how did we ever pass a home study moment came when SS began to sing along to "relax, don't do it..." and emphasized the word c*me. All that music induced activity wore SS out, she fell asleep on top of me at around 6:15 p.m. I won't be sleeping tonight because I seriously doubt she will sleep through the night. But is worth it, because P is right, watching and feeling SS fall asleep on us is the greatest feeling in the world. We better hang on to that feeling because we will need those memories when SS hits puberty. She is such a handful now, we shudder when we think what's coming our way.

No comments: