Friday, June 22, 2012

So far so good.

Last night was SS's ninth consecutive night on her bed.  On Wednesday night we thought we might encounter some resistance. P and I were playing a game, and as usual, SS had to be in the middle of things. We were very relieved when she fell asleep at the foot of our bed, and did not wake when I placed her on her bed. Thursday morning brought a change in SS's routine.  I must have been sound asleep in the morning (had some really nasty, vivid nightmares that sucked the energy out of me), because I did not notice when P kissed me goodbye. I awoke disoriented, turned, and SS was not next to me. I went downstairs and no P. WTH? It was 7:10 a.m., P was long gone. I took the trash out, came upstairs, and SS was still sound asleep. No morning cuddle, no waking up between 5:45 and 6:00 a.m. I took advantage of this gift and went downstairs to get a few things done. SS came downstairs upon awakening, no freaking out, no calling out for me. This is major progress because SS HATES being alone. Her definition of alone vastly differs from most, and to her if we are out of her sight, well, she is alone.  She hasn't had nightmares, at least I think she hasn't, because she hasn't cried or whimpered at night.

Ever since we met I have asked SS upon awakening about her dreams. I know, lame, lame, lame. I started with "Did you have good baby dreams?" Then it changed to toddler, preschooler, 4 year old, and now 5 year old dreams. Initially she didn't answer, probably because of the lack of speech thing. When SS was a toddler I would also ask if baby dreams were different from toddler dreams. She just looked at me like the crazy person that I am.  At age four she began to answer, and guess what, 4 year old dreams ARE different than 3 year old dreams. Sadly, they were mostly nightmares, "bad dreams Mama." Age five, has been treating SS better in the dream department, especially after our move. She has talked mainly about good dreams, and for nine straight nights, her dreams have been about Legos. To be five. We hope SS keeps this up, because I don't want her to grow up afraid to be on her own, it's not healthy, trust me. We are going to spend a few nights away from home, a belated wedding anniversary, quickie getaway. I asked P to book two beds, because I don't want SS to get comfortable with the idea of sleeping between us again.

I have had the worst luck lately. P's sister emailed him the dinner pictures, and P forwarded them to me. The *&%$# desktop won't allow me to save them, nor to the external hard drive we use as back up. I am sure we will get around it eventually, I just don't have the time or patience now. Yesterday I went to the store to pick up a few items for dinner, and that turned into a four store saga. They were simple items, come on, frozen peas and carrots? It does not get any more pedestrian than that.  Yesterday I found a forgotten toy for SS, that we got for a whopping $1.98. It's a mosaic puzzle, like a Lite-Brite without the lights. SS took to it immediately and made all eight patterns yesterday. I think she made some more than once. She played with it again today, and it is tedious to get them done.  I took pictures of her finished products (with the good camera), because they looked really neat, and because SS was so proud of herself. I inserted the SD card in the card reader, and the mother trucker bent. Card reader won't recognize it, it's toast. UGH.  I can definitely recreate those, not that worried. What worries me is whatever else was in that card, especially if it was a SS first. Oh well, stuff happens. The pictures I have were taken with my phone, because SS asked me to send them to Baba, but are not as good. She does that throughout the day, SS has even asked me to "take picture to send Baba," when she is proud of her BM. Not kidding about that (P has encouraged this by commenting on her prowess). Can't wait for the day P opens a picture at work, only to have someone see it. I have dilly dallied enough now, have lots to do.









No comments: