Monday, January 25, 2010

The tech completely misrepresented the whole whiskey effect.

Yesterday I mixed the the Barium sulfate and made the yucky fifty-two ounces of suspension. I drank 12 ounces before bed, 12 ounces 2 hours before the scan, and 12 ounces 15 minutes before the scan. After looking at the white suspension, P, the man with impeccable timing, shared that Barium is potentially lethal (I knew that), and wondered what it would do to my system, even when mixed per the instructions. My husband, such a ray of sunshine in an otherwise gray existence. When he saw me this morning (he met me at the clinic), he frowned at my coffee mug. I do not have sippy cups, it's what I grabbed on my way out for the suspension.

Today there was a full house in attendance. On Friday, there was only tech dude, because I was the last appointment of the day. They had three nurses (1 or 2 were students), tech dude, and computer dude. For some reason this made me nervous, so many strangers around me, witnessing a vulnerable moment. When the nurse was done with the IV, tech dude went over the iodine infusion again. I smiled and said, "Oh yeah, that shot of whiskey you promised me Friday." TD got a kick out of that. Just before he cleared the room (why when it is supposed to be safe?), he leaned over me and said "That shot of whiskey, you are going to feel most of it on your pelvis. It burns but it goes away quickly."

TD grossly misrepresented what I was going to feel. I have never had a shot of whiskey, but have had good tequila and it never felt that way. It did not bother me one bit as it entered my system, but then it reached my pelvis. There I was, with five people behind the glass watching me, while I was feeling a REALLY warm sensation in that area. Trust me, not something you want to feel with an audience, it just felt wrong. Now I know why they require you to hold your arms above your head (and no locking those elbows).

Between scans the staff took turns coming inside and talking to me like one would a three year old or a Regional Center client. They were speaking slow, loud and in a high pitched voice... "We just took some pictures, we are waiting to take more pictures, OK? How are you holding up? The machine will speak to you and let you know when to hold your breath." I seriously wanted to slap them silly. I do not even talk that way to SS. I wanted to throw out a few smart a$$ remarks, but decided to suck it up instead. Really, who the hell trained these nincompoops?

But, it is done and I will hopefully never have to go through one again. Now we wait for an appointment with the surgeon and hope that all is well. Although I never gave it a thought before the surgery, my intestines and I go way back, and I would really hate to have more severed.

P was very interested in the warm and fuzzy feeling (figures). He is now, no joke here, jealous that I had the experience, and wishes to have one. I know that I harp on how quirky my kids are, but my husband is really up there with them. He interrogated me several times about it. Sigh.

Looking back (P's phone pics)...

Gosh, she was a baby then. SS is in her sub carseat, so it had to be taken during our first few months home. She had already acquired chunk on her face.

As you can see, P likes to take close ups. Can't blame him with this subject.

SS used to vigorously suck on her three fingers, especially when she was anxious. We sometimes worried that she would suck them raw. We can't recall when is the last time we saw her sucking her fingers. Another baby thing she has left behind, glad we did not stress about it then (P and I are not fans of finger sucking), it's what she needed to cope.

No comments: