Thursday, April 29, 2010

UGH, she climbed out of her crib!

I had another appointment with Dr. JG today, and was hoping it was my last. Everything is as it should be almost one month post surgery. Well, Dr. JG thinks my recovery has been remarkable compared to his other patients. I sure hope so, since I am at least twenty years younger than his youngest patients. I do have to return in a month for him to look over a very minor complication, a protruding granuloma that P is going to gleefully try to burn off with silver nitrate. Dr. JG asked P if he wanted to do it, or if he preferred that I return for him to do it. P sure answered fast, anything to inflict pain on me. I can see myself twenty years from now, a doctor telling P that while I am in a coma, I have a 95 percent chance of recovery. I can see P saying those odds are not good enough and pulling the plug. The man lives for gory stuff. I neglected to mention that P has used the silver nitrate before with my open incision, or the big one, as Dr. JG refers to it.

We discussed some serious pain that I have been experiencing, but Dr. JG assured me that it is normal and will most likely remain for 60-90 days. There are two possibilities, the stitches (he said to think of it as twine binding my intestine), and that is pain that will bring a strong person to its knees. The second possibility is cramps due to my intestine residing lower after this surgery. I think that I am experiencing discomfort (OK, *&%$*&# pain) from the stitches. Now it is a waiting game, since the stitches will be completely dissolved three months after surgery.

We also discussed my fear of this happening again, especially after finding out that he removed more diverticula. Dr. JG explained that he is certain that it was left over after the first surgery. He stated that is not unusual to leave some knowing that it will be removed during the reversal surgery. Not sure I buy that, but the dude has been straightforward so far. Regarding my fear of ending up with a colostomy again, he pointed out the obvious (which I am a master at missing), it took forty something years for a rupture to occur. It is not likely to happen again, and he has only seen it happen once since 1986. He also noted that now that I know the consequences of not listening to my body when it is in that much pain, he is sure it won't come to that. Way to go Dr. JG, blame it on the innocent victim.

P is visibly relieved (meaning he won't shut up about it) that I have finally received and acknowledged the message my body sent last October. What he does not understand is that listening to one's body can be a drag, especially when your body is letting you know that you are aging, not gracefully, and that you are on your way out. Not a fun message to receive.

After lunch SS and I went shopping. She was in a good mood, even though we waited almost an hour at the doctor's office. This week P has started work at 4:30 a.m. and is home between 12:30 to 1:00 p.m. Except today, due to the appointment. That extra daytime Baba time has been really good for SS, and I think accounted for her good mood. What the heck, I do enjoy having him around as well.

Having fun spends energy and SS had a mini meltdown around 6:00 p.m. I held her until she cried herself to sleep. I placed her in her crib and went back to cooking dinner. An hour later I heard SS calling for P, he went upstairs then asked me where I laid SS down. Uh, there are only two possible places, our bed or her crib. He surely could not have lost her, I had just heard her call out to him. P was asking because he found our intrepid daughter at the top of the stairs. WHAT!!!!!! Yep, she climbed out of her crib, and I am sure it is the first time. We have never found her out of her crib and there is no way she could climb back inside.

Although about to soil our underwear over what this meant, we remained calm and asked SS to show us how she climbed out. We were both surprised we did not hear a big thud, so she made it out without incident. It took a while to coax her to repeat her stunt, and we are sure that she was shy because I was filming her. We reassured her that she was not in trouble, that we would not be mad, but SS was obviously not trusting us. She eventually replicated her escape from Alcatraz for us. Dude, we are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo screwed, sorry, no way of softening that blow. If SS can clear the side of her crib (we did not think her legs were that long), she can easily clear a security gate. We have to come up with a solution because we can't have her wondering around at night, writing redrum on the walls. Man, we are really sweating this one.

The simple solution, tying her to her crib is not an option. Most people would also see this a sign that it is time to convert the crib into a toddler bed. That is not a problem, it converts and we for once thought ahead and bought the bed rail when we bought the crib four years ago. The thing is that SS seems to need a crib, she needs to feel something all around her. That is why she enjoys falling asleep sandwiched between us, and makes sure to touch one or both of us. When she is in her crib, she gets very close to the sides, a bed rail is not going to give her that sense of security. On the other hand, chances are that her acrobatic precision might be affected by sleep or darkness and SS could hurt herself climbing out. UGH!

And why are we agonizing over something so freaking simple? I threw JJ on a twin size bed at 12 months, with a bed rail, but the kid had plenty of space to fall out. OMG, he was the easy one. Oh well, we have to figure out something and soon. Suggestions are certainly welcomed.

SS is getting good at the waiting game. Having her crayons, paper and board helps a lot. That is one lifesaver of a gift.

I got our drinks and returned to the table to find SS on a booster seat. P sure wants me to age faster than I am, because all I could think of was SS sliding down, hitting the concrete floor and cracking her head open.

SS was blissfully oblivious to the trip to the ER and subsequent ICU stay that was playing in my neurotic mind.

SS has developed a taste for crunchy cheap tacos. She ate one without her usual stalling. SS gave her taco a thumbs up. SS is really into her thumbs these days.

Just can't get over the cuteness.

Do not let that first picture of two very patient individuals waiting to get in the examination room fool you. They are grifters who have their hustle perfected. This is what happens when they get in the examination room. I have no idea why Dr. JG was disappointed when SS stayed home, because she really does a job in there. P does not help much, he actually encourages SS. When SS started going through the drawers during our first visit, P gave her sage advise. He told SS, "You need to learn to be quiet and not slam drawers when you are invading someone's privacy."

I took advantage that SS had a full tummy and had Baba time, and we went shopping. SS was in a good mood and this is pretty much what she did the entire time.

No comments: