Tuesday, December 23, 2008

We can finally post this.

Our Christmas card picture.

Baby S's Abuela received her Christmas card so we can now post the picture. I am not good at keeping secrets and we were very excited about getting Baby S to sit on Santa's lap. The picture was not taken on the day I posted about our failed first attempt. We actually have the Salvation Army volunteers to thank for this development.

Remember when I wrote about Baby S going gaga over Darth Vader and the Storm Troopers? As I left Wally Mart, I made a quick decision to take Baby S to the Mall and see how she reacted to Santa. We stood on Santa's line of sight and luckily it was another Santa. A more grandfather like looking Santa. He waved at Baby S and blew kisses to her. As with every time we passed by him, the staff was having technical difficulties, so Baby S got to play with Santa from a safe distance.

That night I told P that I was willing to give the darn picture another try, but early in the morning. Working with preschoolers I know to strike before 10:00 a.m., because they are pretty much useless after that. Why didn't I think of this when we took poor Baby S at 4:00 p.m. to meet up with Santa?

The next morning P went to work at 5:00 a.m. to get a head start on his duties. The plan was for me to call him once we were at the Mall and hope for the best. As soon as we arrived Baby S caught the attention of Santa and the photographer. Guess what? They were having technical difficulties again and this resulted in a 30+ minute window when Baby S became comfortable with the guy in the red suit.

We did not think she was going to pull it off, but Santa was patient and played peekaboo and patty cake with Baby S. We touched his hands and she eventually touched his hand also. At a point Baby S had quite the audience as Mall patrons would stop to look at the tiny girl in the red outfit. Then the photographer "lost" the pictures of the kid in front of us and had to do a retake. As soon as that kid was off his lap, Santa called for us to bring Baby S back to him. Then Baby S did the up sign just as the photographer became ready. Much to my surprise P took advantage of this (Baby S actually wanted Santa to get up, not to be held), picked up Baby S and placed her on his lap.

P then surprised me again by becoming a live Jack in the Box. I had no idea he had it in him, but he jumped behind the counter and would just spring up waving his arms wildly and making funny faces. I joined him so Baby S would not look for me off to the side. Then P did an amazing jump/wave/smile/funny face maneuver and Baby S, who looked like she was about to cry let out a laugh and... MONEY SHOT! We would have been as happy with a serious picture.

When we realized that the photographer captured the shot we lost all sense of decorum, high-fived each other and ran over to Baby S to let her know how proud we were of her. I think it's going to be a long time before we set foot in that place again. Say maybe until Easter?

No comments: