Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Bouncing S.

As expected, SS is having some difficulty mastering tasks that are easy for most two-year olds. We do not have any concerns about her intellectual development, but there are some physical development hurdles. SS has yet to get a bearing on her legs, because of lack of coordination and lack of strength. Now that she is spending time in the water, all that kicking should help. SS is also unable to jump. She's trying really hard, but it is just not happening. Yesterday, P asked me to pick her up a bouncing toy, to help practice jumping. P and SS had a blast trying out the bouncy thing while I cooked dinner. Darn, I always get to miss on the fun. It might take a while, as SS is more interested in bouncing on her butt, and throwing herself backwards.

There is actually a down side to positive reinforcement. This afternoon, I had to use the bathroom at the store. I do not think I will be stepping into a public restroom with SS again. She has been in them with me so many times, but yesterday I was in for a treat. As soon as I sat down, SS kicked into cheerleader mode. "Yeah, Mama potty, yeah!" She laughed, she clapped her little hands, she was in full potty positive reinforcement mode. SS proceeded to give a blow by blow of what should be a very private moment. She also took the liberty to embellish what was happening. SS loudly announced, "Yeah, Mama poo-poo potty!" and regaled everyone in that bathroom with her rendition of the poo poo in the potty song. OMG, she was so loud. Do you have any idea how embarrassing it is to hear other people laughing while this is going on? Why didn't SS use her sign? This would have been a wonderful opportunity to just use her sign. She did, but also shouted the word. I was mortified and tried to get her to quiet down, to no avail. This is why a firm handshake, and a sincere congratulations is the way to go. From now on, I will be wearing Depends when we are out and about without P.

A few years ago, I received an e-mail with an article written by the mother of a three-year old boy. She had made the mistake of visiting a public restroom for #2, and the little boy ran with the commentary. In her case, her son commented upon the smell, called her a good girl when he heard it, and said she was going to get candy. P and I laughed so hard we almost cried. It is one of the funniest things I have ever read in my life. That is, because it did not happen to me.

SS did not get another toy, this is a therapeutic tool.

She'll do anything but jump.


The face that gets us through the rough days.

Better landing here than on the sidewalk.

I just saw these pictures, the things that go on when I'm not looking.

SS's dinner, arroz con gandules (pigeon peas), aguacate and bacalaito frito (cod fritter).




This is not her first taste of the bacalaito frito. She ate half of P's, and managed to eat the one you see here.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Ah, the Character Building events...should I ever have children, please remind me of this when they start potty training :)