Tuesday, November 24, 2009

We cooked, we ate, we waddled to bed.

As usual, JJ's visit got us out of our rut and we simply enjoyed having him home. Due to his late start, SS was very anxious when he arrived and she stuck by his side until she fell asleep next to him. She had no use for us. :) P stayed up until 12:30 a.m. P goes to bed early, especially now that he is holding the fort on his own. He makes it to 8-9 p.m. only because I can't carry SS upstairs. Having JJ here certainly charged him up. We watched Star Trek, the Jon Stewart Show and the Colbert Report. It was weird going to bed without SS, but must admit we got over it quickly when we realized we would not get kicked, punched, or head butted.

JJ has done an amazing job. During his two days off not only has he practically been SS's sole caretaker, he cleaned the oven, and spent the afternoon running errands with me (he drove, I'm still not up to it), and did a lot of the cooking and cleaning. It was good for me to spend one on one time with my first born. We talked like we have not talked in a long time. Abu's visit and uncouth actions resulted in JJ doing a lot of thinking. I am sad that he had to see that side of his grandmother, as I never discussed her shortcomings with him. But P is right, I am not responsible for her, and she engaged in that behavior knowing darn well that JJ is not blind, stupid and also understands a lot of Spanish (although he does not let on that he does). In the end, his love for SS far outweighs any loyalty to Abu. We are so proud of you JJ.

We had a nice dinner and P is considering having Thanksgiving dinner a few days early from now on. It's just not as stressful. This is the least amount I have ever eaten on Thanksgiving (that foot long section removed from my colon does make a difference), yet it has been the best, most satisfying meal I have ever had. It was also the most low key we have had. Did not make our usual dishes, did not even bake the pie (JJ has baked the pumpkin pie since he was 6), but it was the best because it was our first as a family of four. Even though we did not cook as much, we are sending JJ home tomorrow with a cooler full of food.

Nurse V visited today and is very pleased with my incision. She was not expecting the amount of healing that happened since her visit Thursday. It's weird to hear her enthusiasm because to me it looks as awful as the first time I saw it. Nurse V thinks that I might be able to ditch the dressing in less than two weeks. I am in no hurry to look at that ugly scar. Heck, I have the rest of my life to be annoyed by the sight. But, it'll be nice not to worry about dressing changes.

This is why P and I slept until 8:30 a.m., totally unheard of since we met SS. It is also the reason why P was able to place his ENTIRE body on our bed without receiving a kick to his kidneys. SS slept in her crib, JJ brought her to his bed when she whimpered in the morning. Even when Abu was here in March, I was always aware of SS waking up. I did not hear her this morning, totally not me. It's good to have that comfort and trust that JJ is as good a caretaker as us. Thanks JJ for some much needed sleep.

That's some serious bed head SS.

First potato peeling lesson.

Nothing says love like stalking your brother.

"You are right JJ, there is no such thing as too many pictures or video of me."


Helping add butter to the potatoes, SS likes to eat healthy.

JJ's and SS's mashed potatoes were delicious.



SS helped with every aspect of the meal. She helped Mama scoop out the stuffing.

A man and his turkey. Thirteen years ago P cooked his first turkey. That is when he got hooked on using adobo, and he has not looked back. He did well again, a very moist bird.

JJ has mastered the parent eyebrow.

No comments: