Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sunkissed S.

When P and I learned that SS was born in Southern China, we knew that she would tan well. I remembered having doubts the day we met. The poor thing was almost as pale as her Baba. But then I realized that SS probably had never left her SWI, or only done so a few times. The summer weather here is amazing, but upon arriving from China, we were not in the mood to hit the hiking trails, or kayak weekly. Oh and the fires, let's not forget about the fires. SS definitely improved her pasty appearance, but never reached dark status.

This past weekend, there were a few references about SS's skin color. To me, she did not look that much different. Then P asked me to look at the picture where she is hugging Seth (below), and WOW. When did my daughter get darker? This is with minimum exposure to the sun. We can't wait to see what she will look like at the end of the summer. We predict that she will be the same shade or darker than JJ was in Southern California.

Then I started thinking about my pasty appearance. When SS is exposed to the sun, so am I. When the heck did I lose my membership in the I'm-Puerto-Rican-therefore-I-tan club? P had a smug look on his face when he told me, "She tans better than you, she will be darker than you in no time." Dude, that is just plain cruel; I would never hurt you like that. I have many other ways to hurt you though. ;) So starting like now, I have to play catch up with SS. I will try to refrain from cheating (tanning salon), but I make no promises.

This afternoon, while grocery shopping, SS said "TWO, TWO, TWO!" Yes sweetie, you are two. She kept repeating two and pointing. I then looked up to see a pinata in the shape of the number two. SS is really taking to that number.

We had another long walk this morning, and SS got to walk uphill (for her) a little. She did not nap and was out by 7:00 p.m. We are hoping that she sleeps through the night. Our goal is to have her in bed by 8:00 p.m. No incident this evening, much to our relief.

A woman upon noticing her shirt stated, "He certainly was." I am sure it was the pigtails.

My cutie patootie.

Not quite there yet SS. You'll have to wait a while before you ding dong and ditch.

Trying on Mama's gigantic sandals.



Maybe this is why she was so tired.

No comments: